Wednesday 24 December 2014

Asian-Inspired Canape



Hey, it is the festive season. Why not serve up something different to your party guests? In this second instalment, I am introducing something different. Who would have imagined canape could be Asian? Well, make it the talk of your guests with these Asian inspired recipes! The fact is I got inspiration from the nearby kuih (malay dessert) stall! Isn't it charming?


You really ought to pat my back on this. For the last few days I have been thinking of something Asian to be put up as canape. Boy, you wouldn't imagine how much of that brain juice I have used up. I needed something that is authentic, something that I could call Christine's creation. I am glad to say that I have finally done it and I am pretty pleased with the result too. And I hope you would be as excited.

Without further ado....


Sambal Rice Cake



I got my inspiration from the pulut panggang (grilled glutinous rice) and sushi that is so popular in this country.

2 cup cooked Glutinous rice or sushi rice
1 cup Dried Shrimp Sambal (see recipe here)
1-2 Japanese cucumber
1/2 cup Anchovies

Slice Japanese cucumber to be used as base. Roll glutinous rice into logs with 2-inch diameter. Rice has to be rolled tightly so that it holds on its own just like sushi. Cut horizontally into disks of 3/4 inch thick. You can wipe a little oil on the knife so that the rice does not stick when cutting. Pinch a ball of sambal to put on top of rice. Top with a piece of anchovy as garnishing. Transfer rice on top of a piece of sliced cucumber and you are ready to go.


Thai Salad Cup



Dumpling skin
2 Granny Smith apples, julienned
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
1 small piece of pineapple, julienned
1 small onion, julienned
100 g medium sized prawns, and deveined
1 cup of Thai chilli sauce (available in any major supermarkets)

Put a dumpling skin in each small muffin or tart tins. Bake at 180C until golden brown and remove to cool. Cups can be made a day in advance and stored in air tight containers.

Steam or boil prawns until just cook. Mix julienned apples with vinegar to prevent oxidization. Remove any excess liquid. Mix apples, pineapple and onion in a bowl. Put a scoop of salad into each cup. Top with prawn. Serve with Thai chilli sauce at the side.

See also: Easy Party Canapes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dropping by to The Informal Chef. If you like what you have read and would like to SHARE this with your friends, kindly click on those little buttons available on top. I am also available in the following social medias:

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/theinformalchef
PINTEREST: https://www.pinterest.com/christineyong74/
BLOGGER: theinformalchef.blogspot.com

Add "like" in FACEBOOK, "follow" in PINTEREST, or add your email to my BLOGGER's e-mail or RSS feed to keep abreast with my latest postings.

Look forward to your comments. Cheers!