This is another easy-peasy Chinese New Year snack that you could whip up in no time. All you need is three, well maybe four, ingredients. Come Chinese New Year, there are always so many things to do. If you think that you need to absolutely whip up something homemade, do give this a try. This Chinese New Year snack is crispy, healthy (compared to others) and most important of all, not time consuming.
What I like about using popiah skin (spring roll skin) is that it remains so crispy even after days. I really ought to thank this wonderful person who invented popiah skin! The use of seaweed adds flavour and nutrients to the snack. Top it with a little sesame seed and it will make a perfect snack.
Crispy Seaweed Popiah Skin with Toasted SesameIngredients
1 packet 215 x 215 popiah/spring roll skin
1 packet seaweed sheet
3 tbsp sesame seed, toasted
1 egg, briefly beaten
fine sugar/seasoning (optional)
1. Put sugar/seasoning (optional) into egg and whisk briefly to combine. I added 2 tablespoons of sugar and a little chilli powder into the egg to give it more taste. If you are fine with none, then ignore this step.
2. Pull apart a sheet of popiah/springroll skin. Brush sheet with egg.
3. Add a piece of seaweed on top of wet popiah skin. Brush again with some egg.
4. Sprinkle toasted sesame seed on top. Do not sprinkle too much as the popiah skin will not stick if there is too much.
5. Add another popiah skin on top. Press to make sure there are no bubbles and the layers are completely glued.
6. Cut sheet horizontally into 8 equal pieces. Then stack up the strips and cut vertically into 3 equal portions.
7. Make an incision in the middle. Fold the top into the incision to make a knot. Knotting would ensure the layers would not come apart. But if are short of time, you could just leave it as it is.
8. Heat up oil. Use moderate fire. Once oil is hot, throw in knots and fry. Remove and drain once it turns golden brown.
9. Cool completely before storing in air-tight jars.
Ready for something more difficult? Check out this Almond and Seeds Crisps: