Friday 12 June 2015

Easy Delicious Desserts - Neapolitan Pudding 三味布丁


I had two bars of white chocolate nearing expiry and I desperately needed a recipe to finish it off. While I was researching, I was pretty attracted to this white chocolate pudding. My mind was pretty set on a white chocolate pudding when a picture of this beautiful neapolitan cheesecake caught my eyes. At that instant, I know I am going to attempt a neapolitan pudding.





There are three distinct layers in this neapolitan pudding - chocolate (in dark brown), white chocolate (white) and strawberry (pink). All these layers have its own distinct flavour and taste. You would get the tartness from the strawberry and a slight bitterness of the dark chocolate to balance off the sweetness of the white chocolate. Unlike a mousse that is light and soft to the bite, this pudding gives more texture and a denser taste. You could savour it layer by layer, or you could dip your spoon into all three layers for that explosion of flavours in your mouth. However you want it, I guarantee you it is going to be a very pleasant experience!

I am a late boomer when it comes to pudding. I never liked the mushy texture before. Somehow, my tastebuds have changed. Nowadays, this dessert would automatically pop-up in my mind if I need a quick dessert fix to satisfy my sweet cravings. It is one of the easiest thing to whip up.


Neapolitan Pudding 三味布丁


Ingredients

28 g (4 tbsp) cornstarch + 1/2 tsp
1 tbsp sugar
500ml (2 1/4 cup) whole milk
60 g white chocolate
60 g semi sweet chocolate
50 g strawberry preserves with no sugar added (I used Smuckers)
1 drop of coffee emulco
1/2 tsp of strawberry flavouring
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract


Cooking Instruction


1. Put white chocolate, semisweet chocolate and strawberry preserves on three separate equal sized bowl. Add coffee emulco to semisweet chocolate, vanilla extract to white chocolate and strawberry flavouring to strawberry preserves. Add additional 1/2 tsp of cornstarch into strawberry preserves and mix evenly.

2. Combine cornstarch, sugar and milk into a heavy bottomed saucepan and put on slow heat. Whisk the milk and scrape the sides and bottom to prevent lumps. Stir constantly until the milk mixture thickens and coats the whisk. Remove from fire.

3. Strain mixture evenly into the three individual bowls. Mix thoroughly each bowls. Using a spoon, pour chocolate mixture evenly into glasses. Alternatively, you could use a funnel or cup with spout to do the job. Chill in the fridge for 5 minutes. Cover the other two bowls with clingwrap while waiting.

4. Remove glasses from the fridge and continue with the strawberry layer. Gently pour mixture into glass as the bottom layer is still soft and might mix with the strawberry layer. Repeat until finish. Chill for 5 mins again. Repeat the same process with the white layer. If the white chocolate mixture starts to thicken, microwave for 10 seconds to soften. After completing, chill pudding for at least 4 hours.

5. Garnish with your preferred garnishing. Serve chilled.

Making a heart shape with strawberry preserves








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dropping by to The Informal Chef. If you like what you have read and would like to SHARE this with your friends, kindly click on those little buttons available on top. I am also available in the following social medias:

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/theinformalchef
PINTEREST: https://www.pinterest.com/christineyong74/
BLOGGER: theinformalchef.blogspot.com

Add "like" in FACEBOOK, "follow" in PINTEREST, or add your email to my BLOGGER's e-mail or RSS feed to keep abreast with my latest postings.

Look forward to your comments. Cheers!