I was a bit hesitant whether to post this or not. I was trying to reciprocate my mother's favourite crispy crepe snack. Have you ever heard of Hot and Roll? I am not surprised if you have not because it is a locally grown franchise selling wraps using crepes, paratha, pita etc. The crispy crepe with savoury filling is my mom's favourite.
I was a bit at loss at the beginning as I did not have the proper round griddle and a flat iron to create that paper thin effect. I ended up using my miniscule non-stick pan and ladle. It was not exactly a superb looking crepe. My crispy crepe was smaller in diameter. The crepe has some uneven tone too but the tasted is really superb.
The batter for the crispy crepe is really no biggie. Once you know the ingredients for making the local apam balik (ban chien kuih), it is just a matter of adjusting your ingredients. This recipe can also be used to make your apam balik but I prefer this crepe method as it is more creative, offering a variety of filling. I put in three types of filling today - ham and cheese, peanut and sugar and strawberry jam. And praise the Lord, all came out tasting fantastic. You could get creative and invent your own too!
Crispy crepe 香脆薄饼
90 g plain flour
70 g rice flour
30 g corn starch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
200 ml water
80 g sugar
2 slices ham, cut into strip
2 slices cheese, cut into strip
3-4 tbsp roasted peanuts, crushed
3-4 tbsp sugar
3-4 tbsp strawberry jam
* You could use one of the suggested fillings or all together. Adjust portion accordingly. Alternatively, use your own filling such as nutella, corn cream or shredded coconut.
1. Whisk all the ingredients together until smooth. If there are lumps, run it through a sieve.
2. Heat pan/skillet/griddle. Wipe pan/skillet/griddle with a little oil (I did it only once).
3. Ladle one scoop of batter into pan and spread it into a circle using the back of the ladle. Try to spread the crepe as thin as possible.
4. Add your choiced filling on top of crepe. For filling (A), arrange a few pieces of ham and cheese evenly on top of crepe. Sprinkle paprika and slather some mayonaise.
5. When bottom of the crepe turns golden brown, fold crepe in half and then quarter. Serve hot.