Thursday 24 December 2015

Simple Homemade Coleslaw 简单高丽菜沙拉


I had my first taste of coleslaw when I was about six when my father brought me to KFC. Nope. I didn't like it. Then again, how many children like to eat raw pickled cabbage? I acquired the taste of coleslaw a couple of years later. Those were the days when I thought having more veggies would be good for reducing weight, unbeknownst to me, the actual culprit were in the mayonnaise. Needless to say, nothing good came out of it.




There are many varieties of coleslaw ranging from countries to countries. But to me, there are only good or bad coleslaw. A bad coleslaw is simply limp and soggy. The key is to get the cabbage to retain its crunchiness for days and keep the dressing creamy. In order to do that, I first rub salt to the cabbage to draw water out of the cabbage. This might sound ridiculous since there is lesser water content in the cabbage but truth be told, it works like magic! Your coleslaw would remain creamy and crunchy for days. I used this method to pickle my green chillies and it never fails.

There are reasons why many like coleslaw. It is sweet sourish, it is easy to make and it has loads of mayonaise! At my age now, I manipulated the recipe to include something healthier and simpler. I used yogurt. That effectively eliminate the need for any sour creams, milk, buttermilk and vinegar. It is so much simpler with only three ingredients, don't you agree?

Simple Homemade Coleslaw 简单高丽菜沙拉

Ingredients

1 small head cabbage (approx 450 g), shredded
1/2 carrot (approx 25 g), shredded
1 small onion, diced

Dressing

1/2 cup (120 ml) mayonnaise
1/2 cup (120ml) greek yogurt/yogurt
2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
3-4 tbsp sugar (to taste)
1/2 tsp salt plus salt for cabbage

Cooking Instruction

1. Mix shredded cabbage, carrot and diced onion together in a colander. After washing, rub vegetables with some salt and set aside for 15 to 20 minutes for the cabbage to sweat.

2. Meanwhile, add all ingredients in dressing and whisk until well combined. Chill dressing until needed.

3. Wash away the salt from the veggies and dry your veggies thoroughly. Make sure your veggies are dry enough. You could use a salad spinner, a dry towel or kitchen towel to do this. This would prevent diluting your creamy dressing.

4. Once salad is dry enough, add in dressing and give it a good toss. Serve immediately or chilled.



Also check out my balsamic salad dressing here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dropping by to The Informal Chef. If you like what you have read and would like to SHARE this with your friends, kindly click on those little buttons available on top. I am also available in the following social medias:

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/theinformalchef
PINTEREST: https://www.pinterest.com/christineyong74/
BLOGGER: theinformalchef.blogspot.com

Add "like" in FACEBOOK, "follow" in PINTEREST, or add your email to my BLOGGER's e-mail or RSS feed to keep abreast with my latest postings.

Look forward to your comments. Cheers!