Making cookies is one of the easiest in baking. And making these Almond Nestum Cookies is even easier. You don't even need a mixer or a food processor. The whole process is forgiving whereby you could shape the cookies into any shapes that you fancy and it does not burn easily. When I was making this cookie, immediately I thought of my Muslim counterparts who are fasting in this Ramadhan month. This is an ideal snack since it is so effortless to make. It also makes perfect gift.
This cookie recipe was adapted from the well-known Nestum cookies. But as we get more sophiticated, our palate requires the same sophistication as well. The mere Nestum cookies now seems generic. So I came out with this Almond Nestum cookies recipe. This is an elevated version. It has ground almond and Nestum inside the cookies making the cookies fragrant, crunchy and flavourful. To add on to it, it is laden with wholesome goodness of the almonds. Therefore, if you are one that like nutritious good food, this crunchy Almond Nestum Cookies recipe is highly recommended.
Although this cookie may look pretty ordinary, I am addicted to the aromatic toasted Nestum smell. Whenever I bake this, I would stay in the kitchen while it bakes so that I could take whiffs of that oh-so-enticing Nestum toasting in the oven. Whatever lacking in appearance, it sure makes up with taste and flavour. My son loves this cookie. This is one cookie that I have no reservations about feeding him. After all, it contains all the wholesome goodness of almond and Nestum.
Almond Nestum Cookies/Nestum杏仁曲奇饼Makes 50 cookies
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup corn flour
1/4 cup ground almond
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 cup Nestum
1/3 cup castor sugar
130 g butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, beaten (for eggwash)
almond flakes for garnishing
1. Mix the first 6 ingredients together and give it a good mix.
2. Pour melted butter and vanilla extract into the dry mix and give it a good stir. The dough should appear crumbly but will hold together when pressed. If your dough doesn't hold together, add a little more melted butter.
3. Roll dough into 1/4 inch thick and use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes for the cookie.
4. Apply eggwash and garnish with almond flakes. Bake at a preheated oven at 170C for 15 minutes or until cookies are cooked.
5. Cool completely in cooling rack before storing in air tight containers.